By: Kerri – Sales Team
If there’s one thing I think we’ve all experienced at some point or another, it’s how expensive, time-consuming, and frustrating injuries to our equine partners can be! So that’s why I’ve decided to share my recent “sinus saga” with you all.
A little background: my name is Kerri, and I’ve been with SmartPak about 2 months now. My horse and I recently moved to Plymouth together. I have a 15.2 hand 9 yr old Connemara/Thoroughbred cross named Mezzaluna (just Luna in the barn). She was purchased to be my event horse but she turned out to be not very brave over fences; her current career is mostly dressage and some trail riding.
Luna moved to her new barn in June, and seemed to settle in beautifully. Perhaps that should have been my first sign- is a horse move ever really totally glitch-free? Anyways, about a week later I got a call from the barn owner that she had brought her in from the field with her fly mask all twisted and blood was coming from her nose. After a panicked 8-PM-on-a-Friday call to the vet, they assured me that if it was only a trickle and she was eating and drinking normally, she’d be okay until the morning. I was not entirely convinced, but managed to get a couple hours of sleep that night.
The next day they came out to do x-rays and started talking about surgery options and possibilities of a fracture. It was definitely a tough day of waiting for the x-rays to be developed and finding out the verdict. Finally the call came around 5 PM- no fracture! The news that she had a huge hematoma (blood clot) in her sinus seemed so insignificant compared to the other possibilities (do you think they plan it that way?). The treatment: 2 weeks of stall rest and antibiotics. Well, stall rest and oral meds are probably my horse’s two biggest pet peeves. It was a huge relief when the 2 weeks were up and we put her back out and ended the syringe struggle. If any of you haven’t personally experienced the syringe struggle, consider yourselves lucky! While convincing a 900 lb animal to let you squirt medicine in its mouth is no easy feat, keeping your cool when just moments later said horse spits the meds-which-cost-nearly-a-week’s-pay all over you is even tougher! And so it was with great anticipation that my horse, the barn owner, and I looked forward to the end of that routine. Or so we thought…
About a week later, I went to see Luna and there was a big, hard swelling over her sinus. There was some discharge coming from one nostril, and she had a 102 degree fever. Another panicky call to the vet, and this time the digital x-ray was brought out. If any of you have seen it, it’s quite a neat machine. It’s also a $100,000 machine, which seems crazy when you consider that it is used around patients who could destroy it with one swift kick. Luckily Luna was well behaved (after a nice cocktail of course), and I even got a little CD with pictures of her skull. Well, the new verdict was that there was a fracture that was not visible on the regular x-ray, and the bump was bone that had been laid down over the crack. That was good and bad news. The good news is that means the fracture will not move, bad news is my horse now has a permanent lump on her face. To top it off, she also had a sinus infection, and needed 2 more weeks of antibiotics. Lovely.
Well, to wrap up the sinus saga, we are now about 10 days off the antibiotics and looking good! The bump will probably remain forever, but I am just looking forward to getting back to life as normal and finally getting to ride, though I’m sure Luna is somewhat enjoying her life of leisure.
Perhaps I will also look into buying some stock in equine pharmaceuticals…