What is the most effective flea med available? BG, Texas
Unfortunately, there’s not really “one” most effective flea product. Because different products contain different active ingredients, they all work a little differently. It’s up to you and your veterinarian to determine which product might be most effective in your particular situation, then it’s up to you to administer the product properly and at the correct intervals.
Here are some questions to help you figure out which product might be best for you and your pet:
- Do you have a dog or a cat (or both)? Some products, such as K9 Advantix II, are toxic to cats.
- Do you have one pet or several? While it may be tempting to only use a product on the pet that seems most irritated by the fleas, you will only interrupt the flea life cycle if all pets are treated.
- Are your pets adults or kittens/puppies? Some products can be used in animals as young as six weeks while others should not be given until the animal is at least six months old.
- Are you trying to control other parasites? Some products only work on fleas, while others also control ticks, mites, mosquitoes and heartworms. NOTE: Any product that prevents heartworms requires a prescription from your veterinarian. These include Advantage Multi and Revolution.
- What is your pet’s lifestyle? If it includes frequent baths or swimming, Frontline Top Spot and Frontline Plus might be your best choices as they are waterproof.
As you can see, selecting the most effective flea product can be quite a challenge! The most important thing is to read the label carefully of any product you select to make sure you’re giving it to the right animal in the right way.