Tummy Troubles

tummytroubles

“Tummy trouble” can mean different things for different horses. Not sure what type of support your horse needs? Read on, or call, email or click to chat for a free supplement consultation with the SmartPak experts.

Horse Profile

Galway Girl

galywaygirl
A 7-year-old warmblood, “Starlet” recently advanced a level in her dressage training. Shortly after her workload increased, Starlet began acting irritable, her performance went downhill, and she even lost interest in her feed. After a visit from the veterinarian, Starlet was diagnosed with gastric ulcers, and now her mom, Michelle, is wondering how to help keep Starlet’s stomach healthy after treatment.

Michelle says:
I’m hoping you can help me. My mare has gastric ulcers and I need some advice.
Sara from SmartPak says:
Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that! Has she been seen by your veterinarian?
Michelle says:
Yeah, my vet scoped her and prescribed a full course of GastroGard. Once the ulcers have healed, I’d really like to keep this from happening again. Is there anything I can do to help her?
Sara from SmartPak says:
Absolutely — in fact, I’m happy to report we have the perfect supplement for your mare. Our new SmartGut Ultra formula is backed by a clinical research study that shows it maintains stomach health after discontinuation of GastroGard treatment, which is a time when horses are often prone to forming new ulcers because of the acid rebound effect. If you’re interested, I can email you a link to a summary of this research study, to discuss with your vet.
SmartGut® Ultra Pellets

Michelle says:
Wow, that sounds perfect, thank you!
Sara from SmartPak says:
You’re welcome! I can also email you a link to our webinar on ulcers, which was co-hosted by our Staff Veterinarian, as well as a Q&A in which she discusses a situation similar to yours, for more helpful diet and management tips.
Michelle says:
That would be fantastic!
Sara from SmartPak says:
You got it! Is there anything else I can help you with?
Michelle says:
No, I’m all set. Thanks again!

Horse Profile

Dig My Size

digmysize
At nine years old, “Digby” is a veteran on the AQHA show circuit, traveling to the All American Quarter Horse Congress and AQHA World Show every year. Digby always travels well, but sometimes he has loose manure for no apparent reason. Hoping to keep Digby happy, healthy and performing his best, Digby’s mom, Lisa, turns to the experts at SmartPak for help (after checking with her vet, of course!)

Lisa says:
Hey there! I have a problem that’s a little, well, icky. . . My gelding sometimes has runny manure, and I can’t figure out why.
Stefanie from SmartPak says:
Poor guy! While that’s a bummer, it’s not uncommon. Have you had him checked by your vet?
Lisa says:
Yup! The vet gave him a clean bill of health and said that this may just happen from time to time, especially when we travel.
Stefanie from SmartPak says:
Glad to hear he’s been checked out! Can you tell me a little bit more about him —for example, how old is he? What type of riding do you do? Do you compete at all?
Lisa says:
Sure, Digby’s nine years old, we do western pleasure, compete regularly, and travel a lot.
Stefanie from SmartPak says:
OK, great! Sounds like Digby could use a supplement to help support normal digestion, hopefully putting those “loose poop” days in the past. We have some basic digestive health supplements available, but since Digby’s on the road and in heavy work/competition, I’d probably recommend a more intense level of support.
Lisa says:
Sounds good. Do you have any specific product suggestions?
Stefanie from SmartPak says:
SmartDigest Ultra is a great choice for Digby. It offers unparalleled digestive support, including clinically studied ingredients that support digestive health. And, if you order SmartDigest Ultra in SmartPaks, you’ll be eligible to apply for ColiCare, our free $7500 colic surgery reimbursement program!
SmartDigest® Ultra

Lisa says:
Wow! How can I get started?!
Stefanie from SmartPak says:
I can add SmartDigest Ultra to Digby’s SmartPak today, and we’ll send you a link to apply for ColiCare.
Lisa says:
That would be great! I’m so glad I got your help today. Thanks!!
Posted in Blogs