Let me start out by saying I cannot cook (I really shouldn’t be allowed within ten feet of a kitchen), but I love my horse and he loves to eat! So despite my lack of culinary skills I was inspired to try my hand at Equine Baking.
After searching the Internet, I choose this recipe for Carrot Oatmeal Cookies because it seemed simple (even to me) and I could adjust the portions to make as much or little as I wanted.
Step 1: Collect your ingredients
Most of the items are easy to find, surprisingly I already had most in my kitchen.
- 1 cup uncooked oats
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of molasses
Step 2: Gather your cooking materials
Here’s all you’ll need:
- 1 large mixing bowl
- 1 baking sheet
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Your oven
Step three: Prepare & bake!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Mix all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until you have nice “mush.” It should look something like oatmeal
- Spray your baking sheet with nonstick spray
- Scoop about 1 TBS batter and shape into a small ball
- Place your treats on the tray and space them at least an inch apart from each other
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until they are light brown
- Remove your treats and let them cool before heading to the barn
It’s as easy as that! And I guarantee your horse will thank you.