When I walk outside

cathlin_when_I_walk_outside

When I walk outside, the slate is wiped clean.

When I walk outside, I turn to the right and walk toward the back paddock. Letting out a short whistle I peek around the corner and look for my red heads. Sometimes they’re by the gate waiting for me, sometimes they’re hiding. Without fail though, I know they’re there. It’s a peace of mind that I only get at the barn.

When I walk outside, the results don’t always err in my favor. We have bad days. Hell, we have bad months. It is not always what I hope for and it’s not always what I think I need. There are times when I wonder what I’m doing and times when I just want to throw in the towel. But then I remember that there is always another time to walk outside and try again.

Because I know, without fail, that when I walk outside my boys are waiting. They are willing to give each new day a fresh start and approach each walk from the outside with anticipation. It’s a trait I try to emulate. It’s a trait I frequently fail to possess. That is what makes the process worthwhile. The failure, the growth, the second and third and fourth chances.

So when I walk outside I try to keep my mind focused on that fresh start. Not the failures I experienced earlier that day or from the less than productive ride we had the night before. It’s about this moment, this ride, and this time when I walk outside.

What happens when you walk outside?

Posted in Stories & Adventures

16 comments on “When I walk outside
  1. Christine says:

What a beautiful and truthful post. Thanks for sharing

2. Alycia Neighbours says:

When I walk outside I become alive.
    Outside I strengthen and thrive.

3. Maureen Geveshausen says:

When I walk outside my first thoughts are of the two that wait for me… a loud whinny and movement toward me. They are there waiting.. first a pat and a nuzzle.. then breakfast… every morning… no matter what the day has in store… they are my sunrise.

4. Dave Sherpey says:

My four horse’s give me reason to rise each day and look forward to the joy that they bring to my life,(even though in the winter they are barn beavers).

5. Melinda says:

My 2 old girls are a constant reminder of all the memories I shared with my daughter as she and I both showed together. What a blessing that was. My 2 geldings one not sound enough to have a job but a real treat to have around. My show gelding my true therapist. Bad day at work and it all goes away once I’m around them it all goes away.

6. Eileen Kippen says:

If there are no horses in heaven, I don’t want to go there. HOwever, I am certain there are horses there; I look forward to being the keeper of part of the stable.

• Dianna says:

I can guarantee there are horses in heaven, after all Jesus comes back, riding on a horse from the Eastern skies.

7. Chris says:

When I walk out side
    I hear the sound of hoofs running to the fence. What a welcome I love to receive. My two senior girls are my buddies. Even when they are covered in mud.

8. Jeffrey Lesitsky says:

When I walk outside, I look forward to those bright eyes to greet me looking for a treat. He gently takes it with his lips and gently asks for another. I cherish my time with him as I have for the past 20+ years. He is my therapy and I hope I am for him.

9. Gail Meserve says:

How many horses greet me when I step outside depends on our boarding business. We have 4 of our own and don’t ever take more than 6 others to give all the best care. My horses range from 2 to 24 years old. I love the different personalities of our own and the different guest horses! Our baby is a delight as she grows! I caught her as she left her mother and have been working with her since. They all give me peace! Three days a week, I don’t get home until after 8pm (my retired husband takes good care of our little band while I’m at work). After a 10 hour shift on my feet I think I won’t walk to the barn to say goodnight and give out carrots. I step out of the car and, the first whinny hits me! I swear, heading down there and giving out the carrots on those 3 work days erases any exhaustion from my day. It may be freezing, mud may be covering my dress boots by the time I reach the barn–nothing makes me happier than that first nicker when they see me!

10. Brittney says:

When i walk outside. My heart is whole. When i walk outside the problems of the day are gone. When i walk side nothing can hurt me, nothing can make me feel sad. My depression and anxiety is lifted. Even for a short while. My body can finally relax. My body is no longer tense and nervous. My horses will never understand how much they truly make me.. me. My horses are my life, they are my soul. When i walk outside. I feel human.

11. Chip Hurn says:

When I walk outside, I see my two boys faces looking at me with calm, trusting expectancy and I am humbled that these magnificent creatures have given me their hearts. I smile and stride towards them determined to be worthy. As I bid them to approach me I am delighted to see that they enjoy my company as much as I enjoy theirs. The bond formed between human and horse is extraordinarily complex, deep and simple all at once. It is a partnership.

12. Elizabeth A Brown says:

When I walk outside or inside those big brown eyes give me such comfort, I forget all the stress that is going on in my life at this particular time, but when I look at those BIG eyes they seem to know that I need him. He is my best therapist, I forget everything and just fall in love with him all over again. Best therapy on this earth…………..

• Elizabeth A Brown says:

13. Suzanne Floyd-Freeman says:

Nothing completes a human being like a horse – they are God’s greatest gift to mankind.
    If I had the money I’ve spent over the years on horses, I’d be a millionaire in dollars. Instead, I’m a millionaire in the memories, experiences, and love of all my horses. What an honor and gift to be blessed by them.

14. Suzanne Floyd-Freeman says: