You asked, we answered! In the second episode of our monthly series, Ask the Vet, Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Sarah answer your questions about how to prevent thrush in the spring, anemia in horses, what to have in your equine first aid kit, treatment for a horse with ulcers, and how to keep weight off an easy keeper.
Have some of your own questions? Ask away! If your question gets selected to be in one of our Ask the Vet videos, you win a SmartPak Gift Card! How awesome is that!? All you have to do is submit your question on this video between March 1, 2016, and March 14, 2016, using #askthevetvideo.
You can also ask your questions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or our blog, where you can read all of Dr. Lydia Gray’s Ask the Vet articles!
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel so that you know when the next episode comes out – your question may be featured!
Questions answered in this episode:
1. How can you prevent thrush in the spring when your horse is outside 24/7 where there is mud, melting snow, etc?
2. Could you go over anemia in horses and some treatment options, and how can riders help prevent anemia?
3. What are some essentials for an equine first aid kit?
4. I would love to know more about ulcers in horses, recommended detection, and treatment methods, as well as long term maintenance for an ulcery horse!
5. What’s the best exercise for an overweight horse? I would like to have something I can do that doesn’t take too long, and I can do everyday that I’m at the barn. My horse is a little chubster, and I’d like to have an efficient exercise we can do.