You asked, we answered! In this episode of our monthly series, Ask the Vet, Dr. Lydia Gray and SmartPaker Sarah answer your questions about how much weight can a horse carry, Lyme disease in horses, the difference between hay stretcher, extender, and forage replacer, and fly and pest protection for horses.
Have some of your own questions? Ask away! If your question gets selected to be in one of our Ask the Vet videos, you win a SmartPak Gift Card! How awesome is that!? All you have to do is submit your question on this video before May 5, 2016, using #askthevetvideo.
If your question was answered in this video, reach out to us at CustomerCare@SmartPak.com and let us know! We’ll get your gift card out to you as soon as we can!
You can also ask your questions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, or our blog, where you can read all of Dr. Lydia Gray’s Ask the Vet articles!
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE so that you know when the next episode comes out – your question may be featured!
Questions answered in this episode:
1. How do I know how much weight a horse can carry (how much the rider can weigh before it gets “bad” for the horse)? I know it depends on age, experience and muscles on the horse, but can you count it out?
2. My horse was diagnosed with Lyme disease this past winter (we live in CT). Her most prominent symptom was behavioral change. She went from a laid back easy horse to being very difficult to handle. What are some of the other signs/symptoms of Lyme disease in horses? What are the treatment options? Can it cause any long term complications?
3. Could you explain the difference between hay stretcher and extender and forage replacer? Is it companies using different names or is there an actual difference?
4. I’m considering getting a fly sheet for my horse, but living in Alabama it stays pretty hot and humid year round with the exception of three or four months. Is there any point where it may be too hot/too humid for a fly sheet while out in the pasture? Would I be better off without a fly sheet?
5. I was wondering if you had any tips on a horse that is very sensitive to bug bites in the summer and ends up with hives and rubbing her mane/tail out?