Ask your horse health questions to be answered in our April 2017 video!

We know you have horse health questions, and we want to help! Each month, SmartPaker Sarah and Dr. Lydia Gray, SmartPak’s Staff Veterinarian and Medical Director, will answer questions submitted by you – our loyal subscribers, followers, fans, and friends!

In addition to the comments section on this blog post, you can submit your questions in any of these places using #AsktheVetVideo:
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Email our awesome Customer Care Team!

We’ll be accepting questions for our April 2017 video until February 27, 2017. Then you’ll be able to vote here on our blog for the questions that you want answered! You can vote as many times as you like, plus we’ll have video and Twitter polls for you to vote in! If your question gets voted to be answered, you win a SmartPak Gift Card! Check out our blog post for all the details.

Need an answer to your question ASAP? Check out our YouTube playlist to see if we’ve already answered a similar question and make sure to check out the video section of our Horse Health Library to learn more about horse health.

Good luck, and have a great ride!

Posted in Blogs

14 comments on “Ask your horse health questions to be answered in our April 2017 video!
  1. Sara says:

How can I heal and prevent hock sores?

2. Sara says:

How can I heal and prevent hock sores? #AsktheVetVideo

3. Katie says:

With the end of winter approaching and spring on the horizon, I am trying to prepare for the constant mud that my horses will be dealing with. They are currently on 24/7 turnout and some highly trafficked areas tend to get pretty chewed up and muddy. What are some things that I can do to help prevent thrush when their hooves are exposed to mud so frequently throughout the day? #AsktheVetVideo

4. Mickey says:

Is it alright to leave a horse that’s not working or being rode on grass with no feed and no mineral

5. Valerie says:

How should the feed ration of a horse change in the spring and should it at all? Is it recommended, in general, to put a horse on less grain than he was in the winter? I know each horse is individual, but I would love to hear about this in general.

#askthevetvideo

6. Valerie says:

7. Valerie says:

Does it make a difference at all if a horse has his/her spring shots early or late spring? Does it affect the way he is going to respond to the shots or anything else? Thanks in advance! #AskTheVetVideo

8. Valerie says:

As the spring comes and horses start to shed their winter coat I thought of this question. Is it healthy to use a shedding blade to get the winter coat off faster or is it healthier to leave it alone and wait until the horse will loose his winter coat by himself? #AskTheVetVideo

9. Valerie says:

#AskTheVetVideo

What does it mean if a horse is licking/eating dirt? I recently caught my gelding eating dirt- he was licking the ground with his tongue and seemed to like it. A couple of people at my barn said to allow it and that it is healthy and a couple said he was lacking something big time. He does receive electrolytes to encourage hydration. What does it mean if a horse licks/eats dirt and should I allow it or do something about it?

10. Valerie says:

#AskTheVetVideo

When should I start my horses on pasture as the spring comes? I’ve heard after the winter the grass in the pastures get too much sugar and fructan and are not healthy for horses to graze on. When is the best time to start letting the hoses out to gaze?

11. Elena says:

Is it true you shouldn’t start a horse under saddle until he/she becomes at least 5 or 6 years old? I’ve read that a horses skeleton matures until that age and starting a horse under saddle earlier will cause damage. Is it true or not and what is your opinion about too early colt starting? And what age actually is “too early”?
    #AskTheVetVideo

12. Elena says:

How common is Sand Colic in horses? Does it come with only hay/grass intake from sand or can horses eat the sand on purpose by themselves? Is it safe to keep a horse in a sand paddock with access to a hay net with hay? Thanks.
    #AskTheVetVideo

13. Lira says:

My mare’s eye recently starting to water. What are the possible causes? Can it be from too much bright sun or stress? Are blue-eyed horses more prone to watery eyes/eye infections than the brown or black eyed horses?

14. Lira says:

Hi. I noticed recently than the the stool of one of my horse was loose, almost like diarrhea. No feed/hay changes were made, at all, everything is like always. Is that something to be bothered about or does that go back to normal by itself? What can be the causes of loose stool? What can or should be done about it? Thanks in advance