Merchandising Assistant

The Merchandising Assistant is responsible for assisting in purchase and sale activities under the direction of the Buyer. The Merchandising Assistant’s focus will be on aiding Buyers in developing and analyzing business strategies to maximize sales and product development for a department or assigned category(s).

Essential Job Functions:

• Provide support to members of the Buying team on horse health related merchandise, including supplements and equine health related products.
  • Develop a working knowledge of the buying function including merchandise selection, negotiating, pricing, and sales analysis.
  • Communicate across functions to provide information and problem solve
  • Assist  the Buyer in assortment and category planning.
  • Create reports to help analyze category & product performance
  • Attends vendor meetings with merchandising team
  • Manage supplement set-up process from beginning to end
  • Distribute and uploads weekly sales reports to outside agencies
  • Monitor competitive landscape, report findings and make product & pricing recommendations.

Other Major Duties and Responsibilities:

• Provides new item activation and forecasting support to support first to market efforts on new products.
  • Investigate invoicing and pricing discrepancies.
  • Conduct competitive pricing analysis
  • Gather feedback on new products being tested by SmartPak Active Riders
  • Some travel may be required to buying shows/ vendor sites/customer listening sessions, etc
  • Other duties as assigned

Qualifications:

• Bachelor’s Degree
  • 2+ years’ experience in a business environment
  • Horse experience preferred
  • Sophisticated communication skills, both written and verbal
  • Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
  • Experience in statistical analysis
  • Proficient in Excel Power Pivot Tables, SQL
  • Strong organizational skills and the ability to work under deadline pressure in a fast-paced environment.
  • Self-motivated and resourceful multi-tasker
  • Telephone and/or retail background are a plus

Apply Here

Posted in Jobs

11 comments on “Merchandising Assistant
  1. Julia says:

Hi there!
    I was wondering if there is room for advancement in the company with this position. Also, what is your desired start date? I am graduating with my Bachelor’s in Marketing in December of this year. Thanks so much

2. Megan says:

Hi there! I am very interested in working at SmartPak in the next few years and starting a career with this company. What does a position like this pay?

Thanks!

3. Lauren says:

Dear SmartPak,

I see that this position was originally posted in 2014. So, I am wondering if you are still actively hiring for this particular position?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,
    Lauren L.

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for your interest in working at SmartPak! We are actively hiring for this position at this time.

4. Whitney says:

Are there any positions available where the worker can be out of state and work through telephone and computer? Thought it was worth asking!

Hi Whitney,

Thanks for your interest in working at SmartPak! All of our open positions are based out of our office in Plymouth, MA.

5. Liz says:

Hi SmartPak! I just wanted to make sure you received my resume as I think I would be a great fit for this position with my background (managerial and horses) and would would love the opportunity to meet in person. Thanks very much!

6. Karen Champney says:

Hi SmartPak…I sent you my resume and application for the merchandising assistant out of the Plymouth office. Hope you received it. Thanks, Karen

7. Arianna Alvarez says:

hi, I am currently a student at Uconn, graduating next year and am looking into equine sales. I was wondering if you could send me more info on jobs you guys offers as well as internships if you do anything like that to provide experience. Thanks!

Hi Arianna,

Thanks for your interest in working at SmartPak! The positions and internships we have available at any given time varies based on our needs. If you’re interested in reading more about the different jobs we currently have available, we recommend that you head to the career section of our website (https://www.smartpakequine.com/Jobs.aspx) and click on any of the listings that you’re interested in to view the job’s full description and requirements.

8. Lauren Hodge says:

Hello,

I will be graduating with a PhD in Equine nutrition in a year. Are there any positions at Smartpak that could be a fit for me at some point in time?

Thank you for your time!

Lauren