Ask the Vet needs your questions for our June 2017 video!

We know you have horse health questions, and we want to help! Each month, SmartPaker Sarah and Dr. Lydia Gray, SmartPak’s Staff Veterinarian and Medical Director, will answer questions submitted by you – our loyal subscribers, followers, fans, and friends!

In addition to the comments section on this blog post, you can submit your questions in any of these places using #AsktheVetVideo:
Facebook
Instagram
Twitter
Email our awesome Customer Care Team!

We’ll be accepting questions for our June 2017 video until May 11, 2017. Then you’ll be able to vote here on our blog for the questions that you want answered! You can vote as many times as you like, plus we’ll have video and Twitter polls for you to vote in! If your question gets voted to be answered, you win a SmartPak Gift Card! Check out our blog post for all the details.

Need an answer to your question ASAP? Check out our YouTube playlist to see if we’ve already answered a similar question and make sure to check out the video section of our Horse Health Library to learn more about horse health.

Good luck, and have a great ride!

Posted in Ask the Vet

10 comments on “Ask the Vet needs your questions for our June 2017 video!
  1. Valerie says:

#askthevetvideo Based on the April’s video I got this question- What causes laminitis in horses? How do I know if my horse has laminates, is it possible to recognise it at an early stage and how? Hope this gets picked :))

2. Valerie says:

#askthevetvideo Are there any grasses in pasture that have to be avoided? How can I recognise poisonous grasses and should they be removed from the pasture or will the horses avoid them themselves?

3. Valerie says:

4. Marissa says:

#askthevetvideo I have an OTTB who seems to have the same skin issue every spring. He gets these small, round, hard nodules on his back legs, from his hocks up to his stifles and sometimes up higher on his hindquarters. The skin looks normal and there is no hair loss. I’ve heard of something called “protein bumps”. What are protein bumps and could that be my horse’s issue?

5. Lyndsey says:

#askthevetvideo I just purchased a 3 year old Quarter Horse gelding, that is just starting to be ridden and I want to protect and support his legs. I traditionally lean towards polo wraps for training, however I recently heard that these are not a good form of support. Would a Sport Medicine type boot provide more support over the polo wraps? Or would it be better to not boot at all?

6. Harriett says:

My 22 year old mare tested positive for Cushings after a laminitis attack 2 years ago and is now sound. My 16 year old Warmblood gelding suffered from flat soles and multiple abscesses and shoe loss for years until he became so lame I learned he had chronic laminitis. My question is, I want to be sure that any supplement I give them is not going to trigger another attack. I am currently considering SmartBug Ultra for both. Also want to be sure the fly predators I use won’t be effected.

7. Raine Mills-pullan says:

#askthevetvideo
    My horse recently got a small crack in his hoof, someone then told me that’s because I use a oil based hoof oil which dries out his hoof. Is this true? Isn’t hoof oil meant to moisturise the hoof wall. Should I stop using hoof oil completely or should I use a water based one?

8. Raine Mills-pullan says:

#askthevetvideo
    Recently someone then told me that’s my horse has a small crack in his hoof because I use a oil based hoof oil which dries out his hoof. Is this true?Should I stop using hoof oil completely or should I use a water based one? And what best o help stop the crack getting bigger?

9. Khloe says:

I just got my first horse, a 7 y/o American Warmblood/Percheron cross. This is the first time he has a job, so he’s a bit overweight right now. I’m concerned because he still has a considerable amount of his winter hair, but I’m unable to clip him for the time being. Is there anything more I should be doing to stimulate the release of his winter coat than just trying my best to shed him out with grooming tools?