A Horse of Many Colors

Let’s talk about horse style! Winter is coming up on us shortly, and in most parts of the country many horses will need blankets, sheets, neck rugs/hoods, etc. We spend a lot of time focusing on our style as the humans, but what about our beloved horses? Do they look best in plaid, neutrals, bright colors, or just a basic little black blanket? I think we should explore this a little bit more and see what colors complement our horses best!

bay
From light brown to dark chocolate colored coats there is quite a range, but there are several colors sure to make your bay really pop!

Blues of any color are sure to look great, so check out the exclusive Rhino SmartPak Collection.
These items feature a nice rich navy with a complimentary beige plaid sure to please those with classic refined tastes.
20670_20667_Front_NOLEAD

Below is a blanket combining a nice tonal chocolate with a bright bold accent of aqua.
20955

Basic Black will look good on any color, but can bring out some of the black accents on your bay. Even more fun with a bright contrasting piping such as red on our Rockin’ SP blanket!
21360

Red really stands out against a bay, especially in a plaid.
12294_Red_Western

chestnut
From dark liver chestnuts to auburn, it’s so enviable to have a chestnut. This coat color looks great in a variety of earth-toned colors!

Emerald green is the color of the year and nobody wears green better than chestnuts!
17378

Chocolate Brown is a fantastic choice as all of the earth tones complement each other so well.
19744_19745

Navy blue is a classic choice that really makes the red tones shine through.
19928

black
As the old saying goes, “Black goes with any color.” Now here’s a coat color that really has no rules, so go crazy!

Black goes well with black; it has a nice slimming effect. It’s also really awesome with bright contrast piping like yellow, green or red!
20061

Green, again such a hot color, and it looks smashing on beautiful black horse.
18715

Baby blue, especially mixed in the SmartBlue Plaid. (Sorry our model has gone prematurely gray!)
13908

gray
Grays run the gamut in hues from dark steel gray to dappled to bright white. Like black horses, their coat color is very versatile.

Pink is for the girliest of grays, check out our exclusive SmartPink Thinsulate Turnout Blanket with black plaid.
13907_SmartPink

Black, again this is the universal color that looks good on everyone!
16482

Blues really pick up the silvery tones on grays, check out our model below decked out in head to toe shades of blue.
20723

multi
Paints and appaloosas get to have some serious fun because they can really mix and match!

Blue is a popular choice and it really makes lot of coat colors stand out.
16510

Purple is the color of royalty and will really draw attention to the gorgeous color combinations that make up your horse.
18713

palamino
Blondes get to have all the fun! This gorgeous coat color also can really wear any hue.

Plaids mix several colors together and create fun and interest, check out the plaids below.
19704

12322_12294

Of course at the end of the day, we all know color rules can be broken and your horse may just insist on wearing their favorite color regardless of where they fall on the color wheel! Happy blanketing ☺

Posted in Blogs

18 comments on “A Horse of Many Colors
  1. Diane says:

This was a cute blanket fashion show! Why shouldn’t your horse wear a blanket that compliments his coloring! Love them all! My dark bay/black horse wears the Baker blanket and the coloring makes him look so handsome!

2. Rosemary J says:

I wish it were as easy as shopping by complimentary color. Unfortunately, color seems to be the last thing on the list when I purchase a new blanket. Once I get through with the ‘must have’ features, preferred brand, and size that fits, my red mare ends up with whatever color is offered. Some of them have been a hideous match for her, but what’s a gal to do?

3. Debra Hodges says:

I would love to see a red blanket for my black Walker. It would make her easier to spot when she is way out in the pasture among the trees. I live in Oregon and many winter days are dreary and grayish. A red blanket would be easy to see and may help keep her safer during hunting season!

4. Kaye says:

What about strawberry roans? What color would Smartpak suggest for my roanie pony? She’s due for a new blanket soon and I would like to get her something a bit more brighter to fit her personality to replace her dreary black one. (Also, she’s accident prone, so the blanket needs to be super tough!)

Well hello, Kaye! I feel your mare would look best in chocolate, as she is a redhead with lovely cream highlights. The Amigo Bravo 12 Turnout (http://bit.ly/1cWrWJO) is a sturdy 1200D turnout, has the optional neck wrap, comes in light and heavy weight and is a great price point. I have personally had a rose colored one for years on my gray mare. Bonus: it comes in chocolate and cream! – SmartPaker Rebecca

5. Linda says:

Help. I have every size coat there is, and at least one coat in every brand and color – 3 horses and not a coat that fits one. All are very high in the withers. Every coat I have tried starts out looking like it might be the right size – and ends up slipping off the tail and leaving indentations on the chest. I would love to have a coat with a closed front – just so it wouldn’t pull apart as it slipped over the tail – leaving the chest exposed to ice and snow.

one paint, one paso fino, and on spotted saddle horse -

Hey Linda, high withers are tough, but we SmartPakers have had a few high withered horses of our own, and we’ve got some suggestions you might want to try! The best options we’ve found are turnouts that fall into one of two categories – high neck or cut-back wither.
      High neck blankets eliminate the pressure point at the withers and allow a lot more freedom in that area. Three of our favorite high neck turnouts are the SmartPak Deluxe: http://bit.ly/1arZ8r1, Weatherbeeta Orican Sapphire Plaid: http://bit.ly/1arZmOR, and the Rhino SmartPak Collection Wug: http://bit.ly/1arZu0C.
      Turnouts with cut-back withers also eliminate the pressure point on the withers by having a cut that sits further back. Our favorites are both in the Rockin’ SP line, which comes in a Classic: http://bit.ly/1as0TEu or Deluxe: http://bit.ly/1as0vWs style.
      I hope this is helpful! Good luck dressing your ponies!! – SmartPaker Sarah

6. Kim says:

I would love to see my guy in a bright colored blanket or possibly a plaid or two toned blanket but alas, he is a draft so therefore we are stuck with the ugly pea green or sometimes navy blue. May one day companies produce more colorful products for our big guys/gals and in the meantime, I can always find my guy in the herd, he is the only one in a sea of reds, bright greens/blues, cool designs, with the dry colorless pea green blanket on! :)

Thanks for your comment, Kim! I’ve shared your feedback with our Merchandising team, as we’re always looking to create innovate new products that solve riders’ problems. And thank you for speaking up for the big boys and girls out there – they deserve cool and funky blankets, too! – SmartPaker Sarah

7. AnneMarie Hall says:

I love for my two dark bay Warmbloods to shine in their purple blankets. Everyone remarks at how pretty my two sisters are! My old TW is black and wears royal blue; he is so very handsome in blue. My very bright orange sorrel QH mare looks good in her green blanket! Keep up the many choices of colors and fits. Their blankets stay in place beautifully and no rub spots!

8. Grayse. Cook says:

My bay where a big d red and black blanket from smartpak
    It’s also a quilted one beceuse we have a barn.

9. Carol Lorenc says:

OK…love the horse color “fashion” show…BUT what about Buckskins??? :-)

In my mind, I find buckskin’s color palette to be quite similar to palomino’s (two coats on the sliding scale of “blonde”). Buckskins are lucky enough to wear just about every color well, but plaids that incorporate black are particularly fabulous, as they pick up on your buckskin’s black points. If I had a buckskin, though, I’d find it hard to resist the urge to dress him in purple because it’s such a rich, royal color that really lets his coat pop. The Rambo Wug would be one of my top picks: http://bit.ly/1gQVB9G – SmartPaker Sarah

10. stacey goodie says:

I have a white and black paint with a lot of color that needs a new turnout and don’t seem to find a color that suits him

I’ve got some great options in mind, but first, a few quick questions! Are you looking for something classic and subtle or something eye-catching and bold? Also, does your horse have any fit or wear concerns (that is – is he hard-to-fit, or tough on his blankets)? Finally, is he a registered paint, or a different breed (if different, what breed)? – SmartPaker Sarah

11. Coe says:

I have a sorrel with a flaxen mane. What color would look good?

Lucky for you, your horse can pull off a lot of gorgeous colors! My personal #1 pick for you would the anything from the Rhino SmartPak collection: http://bit.ly/1gW2Tcb. The navy will stand off his of her coat nicely, and the tan accent color will complement your horse’s mane beautifully. Other colors to consider include black (classic on any horse), brown (will create a lovely, warm look), hunter green or purple (for a royal elegance). Hope this helps! Happy shopping! – SmartPaker Sarah