Submit your horse health questions for the December 2017 Ask the Vet video!

We know you have horse health questions, and we want to help! Each month, SmartPaker Sarah and Dr. Lydia Gray, SmartPak’s Staff Veterinarian and Medical Director, will answer questions submitted by you – our loyal subscribers, followers, fans, and friends – so we need your questions!

In addition to the comments section on this blog, you can submit your questions on our Ask the Vet Questions form. You can also ask on social media, but just make sure to tag it with #AsktheVetVideo so we can see them.

We’ll be accepting questions for our December 2017 video until October 27, 2017. Then we’ll let you vote on our blog, Twitter, and here on YouTube for the questions that you want answered! If your question gets voted to be answered, you win a SmartPak Gift Card! Check out our blog post for more details.

Good luck asking, and have a great ride!

Posted in Ask the Vet, Videos

7 comments on “Submit your horse health questions for the December 2017 Ask the Vet video!
  1. Janet L. Rushton says:

Hi Dr. Gray: I am interested in purchasing a Haflinger soon. My question is what kinds of questions should I ask the person who is selling the horse? Thank you for your assistance.

2. Lauren F says:

Hi. I give my horse a bran mash every Sunday to clear out his digestive system since he is a performance horse. But I have done some research lately and seeing the bran mashes actually cause more harm than good, is that true?

3. Katie says:

Hi Dr. Gray!

I have been concerned about my horses growing a winter coat while we are experiencing a very warm fall. Neither of them are in work, one is a retiree and the other is a 2 year old. If it is still getting warm (upper 70s to mid 80s) should I be doing a body clip (likely a trace) to keep them more comfortable?

Thank you!

4. Katie says:

Hello again Dr. Gray!

Should I be concerned about Vitamin E deficiencies more in the winter with less access to fresh grass? Even if they are still grazing, will the grass be lower in Vitamin E because it isn’t actively growing? Should I be supplementing or using a different forage mix over the fall and winter?

Thank you!

5. Han Bed says:

What is the difference between regular colic and impaction colic? Is one more bad then the other?

6. Han Bed says:

#askthevetvideo

7. Amanda G says:

#askthevetvideo I’ve watched all 91 of the videos on your individual question playlist (yes you should be impressed) and I’m wanting to adopt an ottb and help him/her through the last stages of rehabilitation from minor racing injuries. what are the best questions to ask the vet that has already worked with the horse in order to establish a good understanding of the current condition, as well as steps moving forward?